WSAW/WZAW-TV News Director
Posted by Wisconsin Broadcasters Association
Due to a promotion, WSAW/WZAW-TV is seeking a news leader who has strong teaching and coaching skills, a passion to produce and an innovative approach to delivering content to all WSAW platforms. The News Director is responsible for supervision of all areas of our award-winning news department. The News Director works closely with the General Manager and must have the ability to envision, build and execute a strategic plan. This is a perfect position for the journalist who wants to be #1 in a competitive market. We operate the market-leading CBS and FOX affiliates. We’re North Central Wisconsin’s local news and weather authority (market #134). We’re located just two hours from Madison– the state capitol– and equally easy drives to Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago and the Twin Cities.
- Recruiting, hiring, coaching, mentoring, supervising and evaluating newsroom personnel.
- Setting standards, goals and accountability for newsroom operations and content on all platforms.
- Adapt resources to and embrace emerging technology.
- Oversee all content gathering and presentation guidelines to comply with company best practices, federal and state laws and local ordinances.
- Planning of big event coverage such as elections, debates and local community events, including the 15th anniversary of the station’s hallmark project, Share Your Holidays.
Prepare and manage staffing and schedules, as well as overtime.
- Prepare and manage annual department budget; set strategic goals for WSAW (CBS affiliate) and WZAW (FOX affiliate) on television and digital.
- Build and foster key relationships within the community and represent the station at community events.
We are the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association 2016 “Social and Digital News Operation of the Year” and want to continue to raise the bar.
- Must have knowledge and proficiency in posting content to websites and social media accounts and be able to coach the team to meet digital goals; knowledge of Social News Desk, CrowdTangle and Clickability is helpful.
- Strong working knowledge of community issues and those of statewide/regional interest.
- Ability to work across departments (sales, promotions, web and operations, for example) on executing station goals and community projects.
Gray Television is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Employment discrimination because of race, color, national origin or sex is prohibited. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. If you know of other organizations that may be of assistance in our Equal Opportunity Employment effort, please provide us with their name and address.
To Apply for this position: Applicants should apply at https://gray.tv/careers (click “search jobs” in right column, then Wausau/by location or WSAW/by business). All applications must be received through this platform. You will also be able to upload your resume and cover letter. If questions, email Al Lancaster, VP/GM at email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted by an Equal Opportunity Employer