Posted by Nexstar
Salt Lake City, UT
POSITION TITLE: NEWS REPORTER
The successful candidate must be a strong writer, assertive news gatherer who is skilled at developing contacts, pitching original, enterprise stories and quick to respond to breaking and developing news. The successful candidate will also be assertive and effective with digital news social media.reporting and content sharing, Were seeking a creative, experienced storyteller who excels at active reporting, engaging live news presentation out in the field and in the studio. The successful candidate will have experience and knowledge with computer-assisted reporting, know how to dig for and deliver compelling stories that impact viewers lives. We want a smart storyteller, who doesn’t rely on the day planner, the newspaper, and sound with officials only. Good4Utah is a proud community advocate - we want a reporter who can help deliver compelling, meaningful content across all of our platforms including traditional broadcast, web, mobile and social media. This position is part of our early morning news team, Good Morning Utah and our 11 A.M. Midday News in addition to contributing to later newscasts as needed. Candidates with a minimum of two years on-air reporting experience are preferred. Strong Multi-Media Journalists also encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
· Reports News Stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events.
· Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
· Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
· Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
· Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
· Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
· Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
· Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
· Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
· Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts.
· Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
· Shoots and edits news events and news reports.
· Produces and presents reports for all platforms.
· Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
· Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms.
· Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
· Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
· Fluency in English.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
· Minimum two years’ experience in news operations.
· Superior on-air presence.
· Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
· Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
· Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment: Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Apply for job at: https://nexstar.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/JobSearch/viewAll
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE WE ARE NOT ABLE TO ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS; WE WILL CONTACT YOU IF YOUR APPLICATION IS CHOSEN.