KTUU-TV, News Producer
Position Type: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The News Producer is responsible for producing live newscasts including: gathering and creating content, writing news scripts for TV & Digital platforms, editing copy and video, ordering graphics to fit stories, coordinating live shots with directors, communicating with anchors and production staff during live broadcasts, and directing reporters & photographers on deadline to meet the needs and vision of the Executive Producer and Senior News Management.
Writes, prioritizes, organizes, and produces newscasts following the station brand and goals.
Responsible for writing quickly, clearly, concisely and very conversationally.
Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts.
Must participate in daily editorial meetings with enterprise story ideas each day.
Accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that makes stories understandable to the viewer.
Responsible for developing original story ideas for daily newscasts.
Special emphasis on working with reporters on story treatment and be able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure.
Acts as a leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members working on your specific newscast.
Able to accurately and calmly handle decision-making process, especially as a leader in the control room.
1 year of local television news experience or equivalent
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Strong initiative and persistent attention to detail is required
· Be able to write clearly and accurately; great grammar
· Produces newscasts including: stacking, writing scripts, editing copy, ordering graphics to fit stories, making maps, coordinating live shots with directors, production staff, reporters & photographers
· Must be able to work well under deadline pressure
· Ability to maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community
· Ability to work with limited supervision is a must
· Must possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
· Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a collaborative manner with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
· Ability to keep up with national and local news/weather is required
· Ability to enterprise local hard-news stories is required
· Computer knowledge including newsroom software (ENPS), Microsoft applications and Internet use
· Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment (Grass Valley experience is a plus)
· College degree in journalism or related field required or equivalent professional experience
Must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable
· Must possess excellent communication and organizational abilities, including working with the News Director and Executive Producer to ensure story accuracy and to determine the best presentation of reports
· Responsible for creating a unique approach to all digital elements for the news department including the web site, news apps and social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
· Copy edit stories on the web site and across digital platforms while creating and reviewing newscast scripts
· Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, overnights and holidays as needed
· Work well with co-workers, especially the Executive Producers and News Director
· Must create “Anchor moments” in newscasts and do break-outs of stories with reporters
· Must post additional content (stories, links, video, polls, etc.) to the web and/or social media daily
· May be required to shoot and edit video, as assigned
· Requires sitting for long periods of time.
· Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. for short distances.
· While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to walk, stand, use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk and hear. Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility.
· Work is performed in a mostly controlled atmosphere. Some exposure to atmospheric conditions may be encountered.
KTUU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply go to www.gray.tv/applynow